Monday, April 9, 2012

Recent crafty work

Although I don't have a whole lot of "old" crafts to upload on here, like I did nail art, I do have a few things I've completed recently. I'll try to reference back to their originating point and describe in detail best I can how to do em.

First up is my set of purple dino jars. The idea halfway came from an Etsy page, and then my own creative mind. I don't have this set on my Etsy page yet, but I do have a similar pink set on there now, if you like it but don't feel like making it :).

The concept is very simple, in theory. Glass or plastic jar, take off the lid, glue plastic/vinyl figure to it, then paint. The paint is quite tricky to get to stick to these dinos, though, and the lids were a NIGHTMARE. It must just be the material on these particular ones, as the ones on the plastic set of jars used for the previously mentioned pink ones were super easy.



Here's a closeup of the pterodactyl and some of the other 2.










The next project I worked on was again, very simple in theory, but I think turned out fantastic.

Literally, the only materials used were a blank canvas, scrapbook paper, a punch, and mod podge.

I needed some new wall art, as I just redid my bathroom in elephants, and all my framed Hello Kitty prints looked a bit odd. This turned out perfectly, and matched great. Although it is a bit too small for the area I chose to hang it up in, so I'm going to end up posting this on Etsy and re-doing the project. I'm planning on doing the identical concept, and probably very similar paper, but on a 16x20 canvas with heart shapes, to match the shower curtain a little better.

The original idea came from this blog, I was drawn to it from the butterflies punched out of paint chips, then saw the "3d" butterflies on canvas out of scrapbook paper, and combined the two.


The most current project I'm working on is doing crayon art, as seen here. My first attempt did not go so great, I thought the black background would make it stand out, turns out it just made it look like nothing. The furthest I've gotten in my next attempt is just gluing down the heart-shape and breaking the crayons, as seen in the first photo.





Here's a photo of what I'm hoping my project will come out
looking anything like:










And, last but not least, after seeing dozens of beautiful homemade apothecary jars, I decided to try my hand at it. So far I've just made a cosmetic brush holder, but I think it turned out great. This project cost a whole $3. Got the base - a candle stick holder, the jar - a candle holder, and the stones all from Dollar Tree, and then glued the jar onto the base. I apologize for the messy bathroom, but here's how that turned out.


Anyway, like I said, many more to come. I hope to add actual jars, do a better job at the crayon art, and I'll post pics of the updated canvas pop art, and some photos of the process. Any questions, feel free to ask!

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment